Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Getting Organized

So... the diet didn't work out. Going to Portland always ruins that for me. But am going to try eating healthier again and more importantly I want to start exercising on a regular basis.

Now on to my next New Years Resolution...getting organized. I was starting to get fed up with tripping over toys every time I walked through the living room. The kids have way too much stuff for their own good and there wasn't really anywhere to put it all. We just had a couple Rubbermaid containers we threw stuff in, which wasn't ideal since all the different toys got mixed together...and it certainly didn't look good. I decided that the toys needed to be moved upstairs, because we have a loft area that doesn't get used for anything, so why not turn it into a play room?

If I had the choice/money the playroom would look something like this:
But since I am not a millionaire, I had to see what kind of budget design I could come up with. I drove on over to Target, one of the best stores ever, and came up with some good stuff! Granted I could have spent less, especially if I would have built some items myself, but I needed this done now. If I put something like this off it most likely will not get done in the near future.

First, I found this cubby unit, that was on sale for $40. The pink and green containers were $6 each, So $24 total. I may have been able to find these cheaper elsewhere, but once again I didn't have the time. The unit took me about a half hour to put together by myself, but it was really easy. Forgive the poor picture quality, I just took these on my phone. The containers hold mostly books and some other random toys.


Next I found these adorable little storage ottomans! I love how they fulfill two purposes and look so cute. I sorted out the kids toys and they each hold different types (legos, barbies, etc.). They were $20 each, so I spent $80 total. I already had the table that wasn't being used.


Here is how the room looks now. I still have to clean up the back wall, which is why I am not showing the whole room. I think I will add a cute chandelier or some type of cute lighting. The total cost of this project was $144. Worth every penny to finally feel a little bit organized!


Cameron likes it too! I would love feedback, so feel free to give me ideas or critiques!

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Great job, it looks so cute.

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! I'm excited to see what the whole room looks like!

The Sutherland Family said...

That looks cute! I need one of those cubbys myself =)