Saturday, February 23, 2008

keeping hope alive

As I said yesterday, I would like to get a job in the travel industry. Specifically a flight attendant job. Specifically for Horizon Airlines. However, for this to work it would require Emery to get a job in Oregon, which he has been trying to do. It is very difficult though, cause he wants to stay with his current company and they only have so many transfer opportunities. Plus, when one does come up they already have someone in mind. But I am finally more hopeful. The last time we went up to visit my family he went in and talked to one of the general managers, who seemed interested and said there may or may not be an opening in April...so now we wait. Horizon was having interviews this month, which means they should probably have them again in May, which would be perfect!

I didn't think a flight attendant career would work, since we have a baby, but researching it more and reading what other Horizon employees have written, it seems like it might be ok. The training is in Portland, which is where we would be, and that is about 4 weeks long. Then new hires are "on call" for almost a year I think, which means you wait and see if they need you four days out of the week, but regardless of whether or not you fly, you still get paid...granted, it is not a lot of money, but it is still a paycheck and you still get the flight benefits. Also, most of the new people only get routes to like Seattle and other closer places, which means I wouldn't be gone for too long...sometimes overnight, but that's ok with me.

I have wanted to be a flight attendant forever. I am actually really excited about it...even though it may not happen if we can never get to Oregon...plus it is pretty competitive for the job...but I am staying optimistic. Wish me luck!

No comments: