Friday, November 11, 2011

Ah, the life of a Reserve Flight Attendant

Right now I am sitting on reserve at home.  This is the flight attendant term for being on call, and I have to say it is not fun.  The nice thing is that I am one of the most senior flight attendants on reserve today so hopefully (fingers crossed) I won't get called out.  I have the dreaded p.m. shift, which means I am on call from 9am until 9pm, so basically I get to be stressed out all day, can't go anywhere and nearly have a heart attack every time the phone rings, but at least I get paid for it.  For anyone wondering, as a flight attendant on reserve you are given a two hour callout, which means as soon as they notify you of a trip you have two hours to be checked in at the airport.  This can be difficult for me sometimes, because I have to get dressed in my uniform, drop the kids off at the babysitter, drive 40 minutes to get to the employee parking lot, take the employee shuttle, go through security and then check in at the computer.  But the good news is that next month I should have my line back! A line is just another word for a real schedule, with no reserve days...yay! 

I guess reserve isn't all bad.  Sometimes it allows me to spend more time at home with my kiddos and time to get things done around the house.  It has also given me time to feed my new obsession...Pinterest!  There are so many awesome ideas on this website, from crafts to home decor to style, almost everything you can think of really.  It lets you organize photos with links to tutorials, recipes, websites, etc.  I have a few different pin boards so far: places I want to travel, home decor, home projects, fashion, and Christmas decorating ideas.  If you want an invite, just let me know and I will send one.  Here is just one of the ideas I have gotten off of Pinterest.  It is a painted garbage can turned laundry basket!  I love the colors, but better yet I love the size and the fact that it has a lid, cause I hate people walking by the laundry room and seeing all the dirty clothes! If you want more details on this project you can head over to http://rebekahmerkle.blogspot.com.

No comments: