Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gumdrop Wreath!

 I recently came across an image on Pinterest of a wreath by Martha Stewart that was made out of gumdrops.  I thought it was beautiful and I also thought 'Hey, I can make that!'   Her wreath used all white gumdrops, which was lovely but I don't know where I could find gumdrops in one color.  Plus the multi-colored ones are fun!  So all I needed for this project were gumdrops and a styrofoam wreath form, as well as a hot glue gun. 

 At first I started gluing the gumdrops around the inner circle of the wreath.  They looked great at first, but doing it this way made too big of gaps between the candy for my liking. 
 So, I took them off and tried again, this time gluing them more randomly so I could lessen the amount of space between the gumdrops.  I didn't have a pattern, just grabbed them randomly while trying to keep the colors as even as possible.

 After the wreath was finished I made a red bow and hung it on my mirror.  At first I was worried it would looked to Easter-ish, but with the red bow it feels Christmas enough for me!
Here is the final product, what do you think?  One thing I learned is that gumdrops are kinda expensive!  I didn't check the dollar store, so that may have been a better option.  I ended up spending $3 on the wreath form, $8 for the candy and maybe $1 worth of ribbon.  $12 is more than I would have liked to spend, but this is something I made myself and that I will use again, so I think it was worth it.  I love Christmas!

Linking up to the following:
HookingupwithHoHThe Shabby NestThe DIY Show Off







http://www.thethriftyhome.com


9 comments:

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

Now this is the kind of sugar shock that I love! We would love for you to join us at our Home for the Holidays link party!

http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party-2.html

Lindsey @makeandtakes said...

I really love how colorful your wreath is. I've seen the white one from Martha and I like yours better. :)

I'd also love for you to pop over to the Make and Takes spotlight page and submit your wreath. (http://www.makeandtakes.com)

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

This is so striking! I think my kid would be trying to find a way to eat it. Thanks for stopping by the Terrific Thursday Hop. I am following you back. Vicky from Mess For Less

Mandy said...

This is adorable!!! I'd love for you to share this at a party I have going on - Christmas Craft Tutorial at Project Queen.

I'm a new follower.
Mandy
www.projectqueen.org

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Very cute idea! LOVE IT! It came out great! I am your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back =-) Stop by my blog & link up to my TGIF Party =-)
Beth
www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com

Ashlee said...

Cute and fun! Found you from Tatortots and Jello

Mandy said...

Hi Jenny, just wanted you to know that I'm featuring your gumdrop wreath at Project Queen's Christmas Craft Tutorial that you linked up last week. It is adorable!

Thanks so much for linking up and I hope you come back again this week.

Mandy

Mavis said...

Glad I cam across your gumdrop wreath, since I was thinking of making one myself. My biggest problem is I'm seem to be having a devil of a time finding gumdrops. Who would have thunk that.

AJ @ Happy Misadventures said...

I'm loving the gumdrop wreath, and I think $12 is a great price! Can you even IMAGINE how much you would spend on a fabulous wreath like that in a store? Between $30 and $40, def.

Great job! I'm a new follower. :)